Trust and Respect
- Develop together a comprehensive action plan
with faculty and medical staff to include mutually agreed upon actions.
- Initiate facilitated focus groups to get more
clarity and granularity on how Children’s leadership best engage providers and
faculty to create mutual alignment.
- Initiate CEO listening tour of each area and
discipline, including community practices, with a regular cadence and
frequency; accompanied by a physician, such as Dr. Paul Esposito.
- Engage Business Ethics Alliance to provide
guidance and input to executive team on how we can best foster trust between
physicians and administration.
- Increase clarity on institutional processes and
how commitments are made to Medical Staff. Mutual fulfillment of commitments.
Structurally Enhancing Opportunities for Physician Leadership & Influence
- Invite President of Medical Staff to Executive
- Add three elected members of faculty to PACE
(Currently Drs. Goeller, Haney & Spicer).
- Engage ECG to work with UNCoM, Children’s and
faculty to redefine governance of CSP and leadership structure. Institutional
Affiliation Agreement (IAA) with UNCoM will be revised, and this work will be
an opportunity to have more input by faculty.
- Provide enhanced clarity on roles of
Pediatrician-in-Chief, Surgeon-in-Chief and Chief Medical Officer, as well as
direction on how faculty and staff can effectively address concerns and issues.
- Include academic Chairs in departmental and
institutional strategic planning.
- Consider adding 2-3 non-Board physicians
(including community physicians) and APPs to Strategic Planning committee of
Board. Selection process to be determined.
- Restructure CSP leadership and type of leader to
reflect agreed upon direction.
Enhanced Communications between Administration & Clinical Providers
- Engage in timely communications of proposed
changes and process to all key stakeholders with opportunities to have input on
what is directed and optimal for a collaborative enterprise.
- Continue and increase executive and physician
dialogue opportunities for both employed and community-based physicians.
Existing examples: Physician Advisory Council to CEO; faculty breakfasts with
CEO; Division Chief; all Medical Staff; CSP and Children’s Physicians meetings.
- Enhance participation on executive leadership in
the physician orientation process.
- Increased involvement and engagement of the
Chairs in sourcing and recruiting faculty—addendum to existing IAA completed.
- Recruit a physician Chief Experience Officer to
address the physician, staff and patient experience. Reporting relationship to
- CEO open door hours to be scheduled and
- Weekly email communications directly to Medical
Staff by CEO and/or appropriate executives. This would be supported by a
physician communications manager. Continue “The Pulse” weekly e-newsletter.